Aug 31 2015

Choosing A Veterinarian

Maybe you’re new to the area or you have a new pet and now you have the task of locating a veterinarian to take care of your furry family member(s). You flip to the Yellow Pages or open Google and scour the internet looking through the vast listings of veterinarians available in your area. You ask your neighbors and each one has a different veterinarian. How do you choose which one?

There is no “one-size-fits-all” correct answer to this question. It will vary from person to person, location to location, and pet to pet. What aspects of a veterinarian, veterinary hospital, or veterinary staff are important to you when caring for your pet? Do you prefer someone soft-spoken or someone who’s more direct? Do you prefer a more advanced hospital with a vast array of diagnostics available to them in-house, such as abdominal ultrasound, endoscopy, or a laser for surgery? Would holistic and alternative therapies in veterinary medicine benefit you more? Are business hours important for you to consider (i.e., open after 5 PM, open on Saturdays late or on Sundays)? Do you prefer a hospital that takes emergency phone calls from their clients after-hours or are you okay with referral to a fully-staffed veterinary emergency clinic? Does location of the clinic or curb/aesthetic appeal matter to you?

Ask yourself these questions when determining which veterinary hospital to visit. A hospital’s website may answer many questions you have and give you some idea about whether or not the hospital is the right fit for you and your pet. It’s okay to ask for tours of veterinary hospitals prior to making a decision on which facility you’d like to use. A hospital tour gives you a chance to see the facility, ask questions in person, meet the staff and perhaps meet the doctors.

Each pet owner places value on certain factors and those factors are not all the same – just as veterinary hospitals are not all the same. The most important thing is that you find a veterinarian who you can trust and who complements your values for the management of your pet.

seminoletrail | Uncategorized

10 responses to “Choosing A Veterinarian”

1. Ashley Maxwell says:

Thanks for your suggestion to look for veterinarians who have open the hours you think will be the best for you to bring your pet in. I like how you said that you could have requirements or questions in mind for your vet when you go to meet them to see if they are the right one for you. My husband and I are looking into quality veterinarians who love and want to care for our dog, Macey.

• seminoletrail says:

We certainly believe that “fit” is a huge factor in being happy with your veterinarian and the care that is provided. If you live in the Central Florida area, we would be happy to meet you guys and Macey!

2. Kylie Dotts says:

I like how you said that you should ask about whether the vet hospital you choose will be direct or soft spoken. It’s my personal opinion that it’s better to have someone who is direct and will tell you what the problem is once they know. That certainly seems like a better option than someone beating around the bush on what could be done or what the problem is.

• seminoletrail says:

Everyone communicates differently and likes to be communicated with in a certain way. Some people do not like vagueness while some do not appreciate directness. Making sure you find the right “fit” helps you be happier and more satisfied with the care provided by your veterinarian. One-size-fits-all does not work well in medicine. We believe that veterinary hospitals, just like people, are all different which gives pet owners a variety of choices. And that’s a good thing!

3. Joy Butler says:

My family is planning to adopt a puppy after some (a lot) of persuasion coming from our kids. I wanted to make sure that the whole family is prepared for any situation for our new family member and your article provides a very good starting ground. I like your no one-size-fits-all idea. You can base your criterion to your pets needs and what a veterinarian could offer. Thanks for the great tips!

4. Mark Finch says:

Your article about choosing a veterinarian for my pet is very informative. I have a pet cat. While most veterinarians seem to focus on dogs, I’m finding it difficult to look for the right vet for my cat. I know that cats are generally low maintenance, but as I care about her health, I’d still want to bring her to a vet every now and then. I like how you suggested checking a vet’s website first as most of the services offered should be showcased there, but I think I’d rather give them a visit so I can evaluate how the clinic and the staff feel in general. Thank you for your advice!

• seminoletrail says:

There are cat-only practices in many areas! A quick internet search should allow you to find out if one is in your area. Visiting the hospital definitely helps you better determine if the hospital you have chosen to try-out will work for you. If you find a dog and cat animal hospital that happens to have clinic cats, chances are that they will be good for you and your kitty. Glad you found the article informative; we’re happy to help any way we can!

5. Deb Pearl says:

I just moved to a new town and I really need to find a new veterinarian for my cat. That is a good idea to see if I can get a tour of a place I find. Being able to go inside would be able to help me decide if I want to choose that facility! Thank you for all the tips!